Alumni of 30 years visit SFA
Seven former students who left St. Francis of Assisi over 30 years ago visited the school in June. We'd like to thank Nuala McGrothy (left), Lisa Owen, June Carroll, Pauline Costello, Catherine Cole, Helen Green, Tim Gurrey (right) for visiting our school community and sharing their words of wisdom to our current students, who were very inspired by their stories.
Daniel Martin (1997 - 2004)
Daniel Martin – a student at St. Francis of Assisi in 1997 – has since had a flourishing career in professional cycling, racing for Ireland since 2006. Now affiliated with the team Etixx – Quick-Step, his most notable career achievements include 1st Place 1st Liège–Bastogne–Liège 2013, 1st Giro di Lombardia 2014, 1st Tre Valli Varesine 2010 and 1st Japan Cup 2010. During his time at St. Francis of Assisi, his Mathematics teacher Mr. A Mitchel hailed him as a “role model beyond reproach.” His cycling wasn’t apparent until he was a member of the St. Francis sixth form when he came back from a race in Canada. We wish Daniel all the success in his career.
Martin Glenn (1971 - 1978)
Martin Glenn attended St. Francis of Assisi in 1971, and has since moved on to become the CEO of several large companies, including the English Football Association and Birds Eye iglo.
Mr. M Ward (2005 - 2008)
2005 – 2008. With a very strong English football background but little American football expertise, Mr. M Ward relocated to America from St. Francis of Assisi CTC when he was 14. When approached by an American football coach, Mr. Ward picked up kicking an American football naturally and became the starting kicker for his high school football team. Later on that year he was approached by multiple colleges and universities and was finally offered a full athletic scholarship to play American football (the first male from Doherty Valley High), acquiring an impressive number of personal and team statistics. Before graduating, Mr. Ward played his full 4 years of University and completed a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Movement Science - Fitness and strength. Mr. Ward has now returned to St. Francis of Assisi aspiring to become a PE teacher in 2017.
You can read more about Mr. Ward’s story Click Here
Over the last few years, many past students have gone from St Francis of Assisi CTC to study at major Universities, both at undergraduate level and beyond. Many of them have been extremely successful, and we are proud of what they have done. Here are the success stories from our previous History students, courtesy of Mr. I Garrett.
- Matt Key – First in History and English University of Birmingham, 2012, currently doing a Masters at Oxford
- Jim Beeston - II:I in Classics, University of Oxford (Corpus Christi College), 2013
- Sophie Brennan – II:I in History at University of Birmingham, 2012
- Daniel Helen - First in History, University of Southampton, 2013, then Masters in Mediaeval History at Oxford
- Liz Harrison - II:I in History at Liverpool Hope, 2013, followed by a Masters
- David Mason – First in History at University of Oxford (Oriel College), 2014, followed by a Masters in Mediaeval History. David is starting a doctorate at Oxford in the autumn, focusing on literacy in late mediaeval/early Tudor England
- Lizzie Rogers – First in History at the University of Hull, 2015, and winner of the Department Dissertation Prize. Lizzie is currently doing a Masters at Hull and is beginning a doctorate in the autumn, focusing on country house collections
- Polly Platts – First in History at University of Sheffield, 2015
- Ellie Regan – II:I in History, University of Manchester, 2016